Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fat Extraction

It was a tiring long hour lab today. Yet it was an eye opening session for me.

There was 2 parts of our lab : processing food and analyzing it.

First of all, we were frying nuggets. 10batches of frying with soya bean oil which is considered quite reactive and not really suitable for deep frying compared to palm oil.

After observing the differences of those 10 batches of fried nuggets, the fun part came! We were told to do fat extraction. It was a brand new thing to me (well, i know it's rather late for me to catch up with this basic thing now yet it made me excited). haha!

The ground nuggets were sampled and put into a machine of fat extraction. A rather exciting look to me of the machine. Petroleum ether was used as the solvent in the extraction. Basically the concept in simple: see how much fat the nuggets contain.

It was quite a simple experiment. Somehow that was what i wanted to see for so long. I was interested in Chemistry during those schooling days. Just i only managed to imagine how the processes written in book should be like. Nothing comes to practical. Now at least i have a chance to see what exactly it was and how importance it is in the industry. Not only memorizing, imaging, and learning by hard without realizing the real function behind!

I am glad and feeling blessed I am in university now.

No comments: