Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What do u think?

Everything upon the happening of something which i have decided, doubts would arise: am i doing the right thing?

Last year, the day before i depart to senai airport, I was worried. I could feel the uneasiness of my parents too, as they knew i am going to climb the Mount Kinabalu. As if there is something held me back, something telling me: do not do it, brake it, before everything is too late.

Yet there is always another sound revolving around me: Go for it! You gotta take the risk!

3 more days, i would be off to Kolkata. A place which i totally unfamiliar with, despite some picture searched from the web. This time, I would be there for almost 8 weeks, almost 2 months.

I have been trying to convince my mum in the past few days to ensure her i will be fine. Yet, almost everyone listen the news of my 'vacation' there, they were shocked and started to worry. So, again and again. I am busy in convincing everyone that I will be fine. I would take care of myself.

Well, now i only need the faith, and encouragement. I can understand, their worries were simply because they care about me. I do not blame them. But I am not that kind of strong person neither. My faith would swing.

Have you get some kinda injection done? Sorry, I do not.
Do you check what bank there apply some sorta bank debit card? Sorry, I do not.

How many of you are going?
Two.
WHAT?! only two girls going?

It must be very hot there.
Yes, normally the temperaure is about 45C.
WHAT?! Are u crazy? U will certainly get burnt!

What are u doing there?
Volunteering in HIV issue.
WHAT?! How dangerous it is! U sure u wont be infected by the virus?

How are u going to communicate there? U dun even know Hindi!
They can speak English well there.
U sure...?

How is the security there?
I heard they said there are better in Malaysia.
U sure? What if u are robbed there...?

Urgh....
Ok, if i am robbed there, i will beg beside the road. Dun worry i will not be alone, there are LOTS of accompanions!

Fine...lots of denying and pre-mindset i can hardly change...

5 comments:

BeNC said...

Hey chill out, pal.

If you ask me, and if I'm so happen to have a daughter like you one day in the future, of course I'll be worry sick too.

But think about it in two different perspectives. First, I'll pretend that I have a daughter like you. I'll be worrying about the safety of my daughter, yup, all those questions which you've raised in the post will definitely be inevitable. But as a parent, perhaps I'll come to a point that, this is what my daughter always wish to do, traveling, exploring great discoveries. I would eventually loosen my hand and give her a go. My daughter is now, 23 years old, after all. I shall believe that what I've taught, how I've educated my daughter would be essential for her to take good care of herself.

But if I were you, a child to two of my most respected human figures in the universe, of course it'll be a hard choice to make... Since there are people surrounding, giving diverse comments, it'll be a hard time persuading yourself whether or not to take the flight. But, the urge within you, I believe, is very strong.

This is absolutely a great challenge, my friend. Let's put it this way, look at Daniel Lee (the winner of Malaysian Idol Season 2). His parents were both so opposed to their son in participating the competition. But what happened when he reached the top few finalists, and eventually the winner? His parents became very supportive instead. Well, I don't intend to say bad things about parents, but look, parents are still human, when they see the success you achieved, a success which they previously thought was a quite impossible task to accomplish, their paradigm will shift so unbelievably, to an extent that you would probably think your parents were so fake before you reach the star.

Now that you've got an opportunity, just go. Youth does not stay here forever. But of course, full preparation is essential to be made. So, please do fill in the right answers for the questions raised, in order to keep your parents a peace of mind.

sin & yuan said...

eh!! why din u take the injection?! tht is something certainly tht we would NAG you..

bout all others, as long as you like it, we will support you..i bet you can suit urself well with no culture shock..all the best to you..and of course take good care of yourself..love you much..hugs

said...

leilei, after i read ur blog only i knw u invovled in HIV issue.u are such a brave brave girl.
i salute u for ur courage and ur decision.
i understand what ur parents are worry about, but u show them u can handle all the thgs and u will be safe rite?
u show them u have the confidence to take care of urself and also others.

this trip is very meaningful, i wish u all the best.

人生只有一次的23岁,你在这个黄金年龄,做了一个,你毕生难忘的决定,相信自己,你一定可以。真心地祝福你。

Shilei said...

thanks miao, yuan and ben.

for ben, what u said is true. sorry to let u worry, dad...haha! anyway, i can understand my parents' worries, just somehow sometimes have no idea how to deal with it!

my mum, always the one encouraging me to explore the world, instilling me the idea of 'adventure' since i was small. but she kept nagging at my carelessness...perhaps i am really not that prepared for a long trip in her eyes.

if not going now, then when? we human beings are never well prepared for anything. that's why experience is resulted,i believe.

my dad n mum are the two beloved persons of mine. they certainly know who i am and their best wishes are always my strongest shield against anything!

boey said...

当一切都决定了,那就别想太多。
要是连你都犹豫不决,你家人还能相信你能好好照顾自己吗?
现你该做的是去打预防针,好吗?
让身边的人放心,自己也去的开心点~
加油。