Sunday, May 24, 2009

Public Speaking

First time out for our OWN assignment - giving talk on HIV issue!

It was at a software company. Though our participants were only comprised of 5 persons, it was a good start for us as it was our FIRST time.


It was encouraging as the participants were willing to share and interect with us. There was some language problem as they used to converse in Bengali. Fortunately our dear colleague, Miss Aru was knowlegable and always be there to do the translation. Besides, she was an expertise in the awareness campaign. She knew the techniques to keep the audience intrigued.


In school, I am always looking forward to presentation as it is the 2-way communication between students and lecturer. We are given a platform to present ourselves. Yet, the thought of speaking in front of the audience raises my fear. It is common that most people have this kind of fear, I realized. Talking to a group of people draws us from the security that we tend to live in and forces us to confront an entirely foreign experience.


Anyway, after all, if the audiences are benefited from what you have presented, the joy is there! Sharing knowledge is a great joy in life! Presentation, as I mentioned, is a 2-way communication, the knowledge is not really imparted through the presenter. It is like a spark of knowledge, where by the audiences, most of the time may give unexpected surprise to the presenter himself/herself!


Public speaking, undeniably, boosts our confidence. It forces us to do more and more preparation and practice.


I deeply appreciate I am given this kind of platform to train myself. Everyday is just so different for me here! Each moment of live is a miracle! I was so tired of the routine daily lives, this trip is my gateway, my exile in searching deeper of myself. Living in the confines of comfort zone, as if you die at twenty but being buried at eighty!


Take the road less travelled...

No comments: